Re: Debian redesign

On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 10:28:33PM +0200, Harald Braumann wrote:
> I must say, I like the current swirl and I would miss it. But then I'm
> maybe just conservative. I never understood the sense of re-branding,
> re-naming, re-designing everything just for the sake of it.

I don't know, while the swirl is familiar and everything, there's
nothing in it that really jumps out at me and says that's a really
great logo that captures what Debian is in the same sense that
(off the top of my head) the VMware (in particular) or
RedHat/SuSE/FreeBSD logos do.  There are a lot of similar swirl logos
around which look awfully similar (some even having strangely similar
spiky bits; the last one I saw was on a bottle of drinking water but
in silver rather than red).

I really liked the personality of the "Debian chicken", though it
wouldn't have hurt to redraw it nicely.  Maybe a bit Linux-specific
though.

I also really liked the black and white GNU + penguin on the old
Apache default index page with the proud and mighty Gnu looking down
gravely towards the small upstart Penguin!

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh