Re: Debian decides to adopt time-based release freezes

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 06:40:06PM +0200, Sandro Tosi wrote:
> THEY STEAL our packages

Uarg. That sentence let me discard everything sensible/intelligent
you might have said in your mail. I often read sentences like that
in the discussion. It makes me sick and wonder if I do invest my time in
the right project.
Lets face it: If you do make things open source
you /must/ and really /should/ accept that others do re-use it according
to the license under which you license it. Ubuntu does exactly that.
If we start telling that Ubuntu people are thiefs because they
re-use our work to make derivative works from it, then we should be
consequent and call ourselves thiefs too, because we "steal" the work of
our upstreams.
But OTOH it would be just better and easier to not forget
what Debian stands for. Free Software. Everytime you might
feel its appropriate to tell Ubuntu (or other downstreams)
thiefs, it might be worth to hold in a moment and have a look
at our Social Contract which you accepted, when you became
part of Debian.

Sad and sick,
Patrick