Re: Debian redesign

On Sat, Aug 01, 2009 at 11:41:29AM +0200, Werner Baumann wrote:
> Another example:
> Why replace "Getting Debian" with "download". "Getting Debian" links to
> a small tutorial about the various ways to - well - get Debian. Why name
> it "download"? Because all the others have a download area? To catch
> "generation download"?

Because the current website is *all but impossible to navigate*, lacking
many of the signposts that users rely on to find their way.  On the current
Debian website, we have the following sidebar:

  Getting Debian
    CD vendors
    CD ISO images
    Network install
    Pre-installed

None of these includes the key word "download".  We should not make users
think this hard in order to figure out how to download Debian - that's
entirely the wrong kind of elitism!

> My point is this:
> The mission of the modern advertising industry is to fool users. All
> the tools are are designed for this goal. While it seems a nice idea to
> turn these tools around and use them for good, be aware of the danger:
> the spirit of advertising may creep in unnoticed and finally turn
> around the content.

Your hang-ups regarding advertising are uninteresting and should not be
allowed to get in the way of Debian having a well-designed and useful
website.