Re: Debian decides to adopt time-based release freezes

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 10:17:46AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>         I spend a log of time with my upstreams, and I am trying to
>  implement the philosophy that any change in my packages be trated as a
>  bug (whether or not it is in the bts), and sent upstream. I use
>  upstream bug trackers, and upstream mailing lists, accommodating the
>  author. Very rarely do I see such feedback coming from Ubuntu (the
>  SELinux maintainers are the the pleasant exception).

>         If Ubuntu were better at feeding back patches into the debian
>  bts, well, what you say might have been true.

Why do you assume that there are other modifications to your packages to
*be* fed back?

Here are the set of packages you maintain or are an uploader on that Ubuntu
has modified versions of in karmic:

 Package: flex
 Version: 2.5.35-7ubuntu1

 Package: libselinux
 Version: 2.0.82-1ubuntu2

 Package: policycoreutils
 Version: 2.0.55-1ubuntu1

 Package: setools
 Version: 3.3.5.ds-5ubuntu2

Three of these are SELinux packages, the fourth is flex; its changelog entry
is:

 flex (2.5.35-7ubuntu1) karmic; urgency=low

   * Merge from debian unstable, remaining changes:
     - Don't run the testsuite on hppa (threaded tests hang).

  -- Muharem Hrnjadovic <muharem@canonical.com>  Wed, 06 May 2009 18:10:12 +0200

You're welcome to this change if you want it - I'll pull a patch out myself
and submit it to the BTS if you think it's relevant in Debian, but I don't
see that flex has FTBFS in Debian - but in any case the Ubuntu hppa port has
been EOLed for karmic, so Ubuntu would otherwise (ideally) drop this patch
the next time there's a flex update to merge from Debian.

You seem to have been operating under a misconception that the *majority* of
packages in Ubuntu have been touched wrt Debian.  They have not - the vast
majority of packages in Ubuntu are unmodified Debian packages, as shown by
the graphs on the bottom of <https://merges.ubuntu.com/main.html> and
<https://merges.ubuntu.com/universe.html> - which is for the best given the
relative number of developers working on each project.