Re: Debian redesign

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 04:51:22PM +0200, Ana Guerrero wrote:

Hi,

> Hi,
>
> Agnieszka Czajkowska has presented this morning at DebConf a very nice
> redesign proposal off the Debian logo and the Debian website. She has been
> working on this all the last year as part of her master thesis in Design.
>
> You can take a look at her presentation at:
>  https://penta.debconf.org/dc9_schedule/attachments/112_debian_redesign.tar.gz
>
> Watch first the deb_redesign-talk*.jpg images then debian_illustration*.jpg
>
> What do you think? :D

Personally I think it's a wonderful work, and a very interesting exercise in
producing a debian marketing campain. I agree with the mixed feelings about the
"tout court" logo changing (which, if it happens, should anyway be sanctioned by
GR, as the last one was decided that way, as correctly recalled by someone) but
the simplified swirl can definitely be used in a lot of situations, and the
proposed website looks very nice!

As for the images I don't share the concerns some have expressed, and think
they're just a marketing campain. Some are probably better and to the point, and
some might be less, but I don't think we should be "offended" by them. Just as
an example I'll include a link to a picture for a commercial for the HTC magic
(which I randomly happen to have on my laptop because, working for Google, I
found it funny and took a picture of it):

http://people.debian.org/~ultrotter/misc/q1050732.jpg

I don't think people will be offended by looking at it, as they won't be
offended by looking at pixelgirl's images. If it conveys or not its message I'm
not 100% sure, but it's not for me to say (I'm not an expert in the field). In
pixelgirl's case for example I think the "reliable parner" image is a nice pun,
and goes to the point, while the "software with passion" one is less, and
wouldn't put bugs in advertisement, but then someone else might think
differently, and I don't think we should be in the business of censoring
ideas/art!
:)

Guido