Re: Debian decides to adopt time-based release freezes

On Thursday 30 July 2009, Thomas Viehmann wrote:
> After the talk Bdale commented about the length of the freeze and the
> made observation (actually had a "complaint") that the length of the
> freeze is something were not the release team, but the project at large
> should ask itself what to do better. That has not happened. And that
> why you have so many RC bugs, including so many trivially fixable ones.

This is actually my main worry regarding the very early freeze date.

For both Etch and Lenny, although the actual full freeze was somewhere
around December, the start of the whole freeze and release process was
*way* earlier: around July! That means: we're already too late.

IMO freezing in December without adequate preparation will only mean that
we'll end up being frozen for most of 2010 and release somewhere at the
end of 2010, not in April.
I expect that a lot of developers will simply continue with their current
plans based on the original 18-24 months release schedule, especially
given the totally botched way this new plan was introduced.