Re: Debian decides to adopt time-based release freezes

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 11:07:58AM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> > We'll keep our user base

> That's what I doubt. Ubuntu LTS will be better than Debian stable in
> all aspects, why should anybody continue using Debian stable?

You believe that Debian, releasing with approximately the same set of
packages as an Ubuntu LTS but with a requirement to only release when ready
instead of releasing on a fixed schedule as Ubuntu LTS will, offers no
relevant differentiation at all for users?

Doesn't this imply that everyone who continues using Debian today does so
merely as an accident of the release schedule and the particular set of
packages that land in a given Debian release?

OTOH, perhaps you're saying that you think that the proposed sychronization
will be successful, and as a result Ubuntu's quality will come up,
eliminating a key differentiator between the two at present?

> >  and the possible improvements in both distributions will help us do
> >  better in the competition with other operating systems

> Which improvements could Debian get from Ubuntu? An installer that
> doesn't ask any questions, or non-free proprietary (graphics) drivers?

There seems to be an assumption here that Ubuntu would benefit from bugfixes
from Debian developers, but that the reverse would not be true.  Is this
what you believe?  Does that mean you don't think Ubuntu developers
contribute fixes back to Debian today?

While never committing to keep any given package in sync with Debian, Ubuntu
developers certainly are actively engaged in pushing their changes upstream
to Debian.