Re: Debian decides to adopt time-based release freezes

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 10:37:46AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jul 2009, Marc Haber wrote:
> > In fact, I would prefer if Ubuntu had to change _their_ scheduled to
> > accomodate us, if they want to have the advantage of being in sync
> > with us. It's _their_ advantage after all, not ours.
>
> I don't mind who changes the date for the other but I really don't agree
> that doing it is only for Ubuntu's advantage. Nobody in Debian would have
> taken such a decision, we are Debian developers and have no interest in
> helping only Ubuntu.

I don't see the advantage for Debian short of probable ease of work
for the security team (which doesn't seem to have commented yet).

> What we're speaking of is synergy between both distributions. You know the
> it's the principle behind “the combination of both is worth more that the
> sum of individual parts”.

What kind of synergy could Debian get from Ubuntu which it couldn't
get in the past? I surely haven't seen any in the past.

> > We are not only major supplier to Ubuntu, we have our end customers
> > ourselves. I'd prefer that it stayed that way.
>
> The synchronization with Ubuntu is not going to remove our identity.

It is going to harm our identiy.

> We'll keep our user base

That's what I doubt. Ubuntu LTS will be better than Debian stable in
all aspects, why should anybody continue using Debian stable?

>  and the possible improvements in both distributions will help us do
>  better in the competition with other operating systems

Which improvements could Debian get from Ubuntu? An installer that
doesn't ask any questions, or non-free proprietary (graphics) drivers?

Greetings
Marc

Nordisch by Nature |  How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 3221 2323190