Re: Debian decides to adopt time-based release freezes

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 10:49:40AM +0000, Sune Vuorela wrote:
> Do we as developers have other ways to say "This is really bad, please
> don't" other than doing a GR.

Well, if you *really* want to do that, I've a technical device to
offer. In the past days, by coincidence, I've worked to setup a
devotee instance on master.d.o, run by myself, with the purpose of
taking polls as we usually vote for GR.

That way, we can ask developers opinion, being sure only DDs vote,
still avoiding taking decisions which might reveal themselves too
constraining in the near future, as Joerg observed.

The reason I stressed "really" above is twofold:

1) while everything seems to be working fine, there are still some
   rough edges (e.g. the vote graphs do not work properly yet). If you
   intend to go this way, remember that you've been warned :-)

2) I agree that taking the "time-based release" is a decision which
   the Release Team has the right to take by the authority which the
   project has given them.
   So it should be either this decision, or a GR to overrule.

Practically, if you want me to set it up, I can do that fairly
quickly, but I would love having someone to test it with me. Once it
is ready, I guess it can be announced here (and on -vote).

Let me know if you, or anybody else, like the idea.

Cheers.