Re: Debian decides to adopt time-based release freezes

* Sandro Tosi (morph@debian.org) wrote:
> > From what I understand because the long freeze period we had last time
> > is making problems all around for users (of unstable/testing) and
> > developers as well as the release itself.
>
> This is a fact (lenny release was too long) but doesn't address how a
> fixed freeze start would generate a shorter freeze period.

Having a fixed freeze start helps people plan, of course.  Having a
release date goal helps make it happen.

Just to toss out another example, PostgreSQL has been trying to get to a
time-based release system for a while.  It's getting pretty close now,
but these things take time and there will be challenges ahead.  Overall,
I think this is a good thing for Debian.

	Thanks,

		Stephen