Re: Debian decides to adopt time-based release freezes

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 12:22:48PM +0200, Luk Claes wrote:
> Sandro Tosi wrote:
>> No, the project DID NOT decide it, the release team did, and the
>> project has to accept it; there's a lot of difference.
>
> No, the Release Team proposed a plan. The project is free to accept or
> refuse the plan. Of course refusing the plan will have its consequences
> within the Release Team as well as within the project.

My legal teacher once said (in German): "If you have a cow, it doesn't
matter whether or how often you write 'horse' on it, it will stay a
cow."   The Release Team didn't propose a plan. It announced a
decision to the press.

> The main advantage of a time based freeze would be that developers have
> a clear idea about when the cutoff is for new features and when the
> period of stabilising to a release starts. This should give developers a
>  better chance to plan and more responsibility in how they want to
> support their packages.

As a developer, I felt myself well-informed by the release time about
freeze and release time plans in the past. No need to change anything here.

> The announcement was made to be sure that press coverage would not
> differ from the actual message and confuse people.

The actual message was "this is how we're going to do things in the
future and no discussion about this is wanted".

Greetings
Marc

Nordisch by Nature |  How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 3221 2323190