Re: Debian on E-Bay (way: selling distributions)

"Craig Small" <csmall@debian.org> wrote:
On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 08:22:37PM +0200, Alexander Reichle-Schmehl wrote:
On a case by case basis there have been successfully attempts to
convince E-Bay that there is nothing wrong a specific auction, however
E-Bay seems not to learn from such single incidents.  All I can find is
a web interface which might be read by someone.  So, does anyone know a
good way to get in contact with them?  Maybe a real human, whom we can
talk to, and should know whose responsible for that?

As Florian has said, Ebay won't let you sell CD-Rs.  I spent some time
with Ebay years ago, as one of the Debian webmasters who looks after the
CD vendors, as there was no way to convince them otherwise.

Interesting. Especially since their publicly posted policies do not prohibit this.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/replica-counterfeit.html has listed in the allowed examples: "Software you created and own the rights to or have been authorized to sell online"

This was after getting past their completely stupid and very unhelpful
semi-automatic replies you get for the first few rounds.  You know the
type of replies, they go on for two pages and don't actually answer your
question.  I actually got a real and thinking human and they said no for
CD-Rs, which was much shorter and useful reply.

That answer is a clear violation of eBay Policy.
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/recordable.html says:
"Only copyright owners, or the copyright owners' licensees, are permitted to list their products copied onto recordable media (such as VHS tapes, Audio tapes, CD-Rs and DVD-Rs) on eBay. Sellers listing any type of recordable media must state their copyright ownership or license to resell these items in their listings."

Anybody who attempts to sell the CDs is a licensee of the copyright holders, authorized to make such sales. In fact, I suspect the real problem is that the listings do not explicit state that the seller is licensed to sell the software.