Re: Re-thinking Debian membership - take #1: inactivity

Steve Langasek wrote:
>> The infrastructure is essential for our distribution, same for
>> documentations an translations. I can't see a reason why such people
>> should not be able to become DDs.
>
> Because it implies a professional "priest caste" separate from the
> developers who will inevitably drift away and lose the perspective needed to
> understand the concerns of people actually working on the distro?

No, because a lot of infrastructure stuff takes so much time that it is almost
not possible to maintain packages probably anymore. Remember, people have a real
life, too.

> Because people who are trusted with this critical infrastructure earn that
> trust by being developers first, not by coming in as unknown outsiders and
> volunteering to be given control over infrastructure tasks?

See above. Also: There're a lot of teams where outsiders can help and earn trust
witout being able to break things.

--
 Bernd Zeimetz                             Debian GNU/Linux Developer
 GPG Fingerprints: 06C8 C9A2 EAAD E37E 5B2C BE93 067A AD04 C93B FF79