Re: Re-thinking Debian membership - take #1: inactivity

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 12:56:00PM +0200, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 10:52:20AM +0200, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
>
> > My opinion in two short comments:
>
> > - reduce the time to 1 year
>
> This introduces the possibility that, even if the DD votes in every election
> and uploads their packages once per release cycle, they'll be MIAed out of
> Debian - if one year the DPL vote is a little early, and the next year it's
> a little late, and there are no GRs during the intervening year, then a year
> passes in between votes.

I'm not sure, how much efforts this would take, but it should be
possible to couple the expire-check with a check if a vote took place
during the year of inactivity and if yes, go on with removing, otherwise
send a warning (to whoever we consider responsible for this) and do nothing.

> I think if we're going to expire DDs out in the described fashion, 2 years
> is the minimum threshold we should use.

Why? I think there are not _really_ technical reasons speaking against
1y and its also a reasonable long time frame. If people actually are
doing nothing for 2 years (!) it hurts the project quiet hard
(in fact its already hard if certain pieces in the project are
un-maintained for a year.. so..)

> > - uploads won't work for all DDs (some are active in teams only, some do
> > documentation/... stuff only), a better way to measure activity is necessary
> > here probably. But voting is a good thing to look at, definitely.
>
> Should activity in teams be enough reason to be regarded as an active DD?
> (Are you referring here to package teams, or infrastructure teams?)

Yes. Beeing a DD does not require beeing a Packager, nor does it require
to be an Uploader. If the person in question contributes to Debian, for
example by committing to the python modules team and this in a regular
manner it should be okay for him to stay a DD.

However with a (n package uploads||n votes)/year logic there is a
problem remaining: What to do with people who are not contributing to
Debian, but exercising their voting rights?

Best Regards,
Patrick