Re: Re-thinking Debian membership - take #1: inactivity

On 22/07/09 at 18:49 +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 06:23:05PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > I have nothing against this in principle, but how is this any
> > different from the people who manage the MIA database?
>
> The main difference is the automation of the process. MIA, which
> currently is 1 person, requires manual activity and efforts. If we
> agree that automatically, if you stop exercising your DD rights, you
> go away after 2 years, the energy which we currently spend in MIA [1]
> can be better spend in doing other QA activities.
>
> I really don't see the benefit in the added MIA layer. You stop
> working for Debian for a long period: you go away; the day you'll
> re-gain interest: you can come back.

MIA is also about detecting packages that are de-facto orphaned, not
just about developers. Actually, I think that it's more important that
we work on detecting packages that are badly maintained, rather than on
detecting inactive maintainers. Inactive maintainers do not make harm by
definition.