Re: Questions about present Gnome and the Linux kernel versions

On Tue, Jul 07, 2009 at 10:38:47PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le mardi 07 juillet 2009 à 22:18 +0200, Kees de Jong a écrit :
> > So my question is pretty straightforward; are there plans to introduce
> > these two great enhancements into the Debian project?
>
> No. We’ve decided that lenny would be our last release.

Josselin, sarcasm as a way of making a point is a two-edged sword, and
in this case not really helpful.  Save it for the flamewars on
debian-devel and on planet.debian.org instead...

To OP: Josselin is just being unhelpful; linux kernel 2.6.30 has
already been integrated in Debian unstable, as has most (all?) of
GNOME 2.26), so there are not only plans to introduce these enhancements
in Debian; it has already happened.

However, as a rule Debian does not backport new features to the stable
distribution, only security and stability fixes are backported.  Hence
you'll either have to use unstable/testing, or wait until the next
release.

For some packages, there are backports available from backports.org.
I don't think there are any GNOME-packages available from backports.org,
but at least the latest kernel is available.

[snip]

Regards: David
--
 /) David Weinehall <tao@debian.org> /) Rime on my window           (\
//  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~   //  Diamond-white roses of fire //