Re: Yet another list statistics for debian-project

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009, Ben Finney wrote:

You conflate low mailing list activity with “activity problems”. At

s/low/decreasing/

least, that's the best way I can understand your motivation in posting
these reports.

In principle, yes.

If you have a better explanation of what you mean by “activity
problems” and what you think the correlation is with mailing list
posting, that would help the discussion.

I started with comparing:

    http://people.debian.org/~tille/liststats/authorstat_jr.pdf
    http://people.debian.org/~tille/liststats/authorstat_med.pdf

Here the difference is very clear and the conclusion that Debian Junior
needs definitely help.  Other list show similar decreasing or increasing
features.

I compared the graphs to what we currently have

    http://lists.debian.org/stats/debian-jr.png
    http://lists.debian.org/stats/debian-med.png

and in my opinion the later graph does tell less than the above.  I tried
to add a feature to estimate the use of a mailing list.  Perhaps you
like another example: Please compare:

    http://people.debian.org/~tille/liststats/authorstat_enterprise.pdf
    http://lists.debian.org/stats/debian-enterprise.png

which graph shows more clearly that debian-enterprise list has a problem?

I admit that not in all cases my interpretation was correct but
if some people find arguments that I'm wrong and there is no
problem I'm more happy as if I would have stayed silent if there
is a problem on another list.  Moreover sometimes it turned out
that a list is driven by a strong team.  It makes sense to also
express this fact and I did so (hopefully).

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de