Re: Yet another list statistics for debian-project

Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:
> For instance, I was gratified to see the statistics for debian-legal,
> because they support my position that the discussion there is being DoSed by
> non-DDs who are trying to use it as a forum to persuade Debian that their
> interpretation of the DFSG is the correct one.

That might be true, but I don't see how it follows from the statistics
posted.  There are 5 people listed in the -legal top 10 who are not
DDs now and of those: Andrew Suffield stopped posting when he was
still a DD IIRC; and Nathanael Nerode mostly stopped posting around
the same time he was rejected from NM by
http://lists.debian.org/debian-newmaint/2007/04/msg00010.html
overriding http://lists.debian.org/debian-newmaint/2006/06/msg00023.html

So that leaves 3 completely non-developer participants as far as I know.

The surges by Branden Robinson (2003 - literally off the scale) and
Raul Miller (2004) seem almost as strongly correlated with the list's
slow-down as any of the non-DD surges (all in 2004?).

I suggest that the most probable interpretation is that the list
probably got badly off-topic in 2003-2004.  FDL or editorial changes,
perhaps?  Comment about "activists" or non-DDs isn't really supported
by the data presented here.

[...]
> BTW, as near as I can tell the reports only show the figures for the top-ten
> all-time posters on each list.  So there are probably a number of lists
> where the top poster within a single year isn't represented at all - what
> you're really capturing here is "when have the most active contributors to
> each mailing list been the most active", which isn't a very good proxy at
> all for "what is the list activity over time".

Amen.

In another post, Andreas called it "a quick and dirty helper for a
talks of mine at DebConf and I never thought that it became that
popular".  It isn't that popular, but spamming N debian lists with the
graphs does tend to attract attention!

Regards,
--
MJR/slef