Re: Yet another list statistics for debian-project

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 05:12:47PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 11:59:23PM +0000, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > www
> > -------------------
> > While Josip Rodin was very active on this list he failed
> > in finding a new activist after he became quiet since 2003.
> > Frank Lichtenheld and Matt Kraai tried to fullfill this role
> > but it seems we need more power in this team.

> Surely another legitimate interpretation of this would be that I just
> talked way too much? :)

> But yes, it does stand to reason that list activity correlates to overall
> activity in the team; just perhaps not as much as this description implies.

Right - the statistics themselves are interesting, but the assumption that
more list posting is better is an unhealthy one.

For instance, I was gratified to see the statistics for debian-legal,
because they support my position that the discussion there is being DoSed by
non-DDs who are trying to use it as a forum to persuade Debian that their
interpretation of the DFSG is the correct one.

And in the comments on debian-qa, Andreas, you conclude that QA is important
and it would be good to see a wider base - but the debian-qa list is only a
very small segment of the overall QA activity in Debian, most of which
doesn't need centralized coordination...

BTW, as near as I can tell the reports only show the figures for the top-ten
all-time posters on each list.  So there are probably a number of lists
where the top poster within a single year isn't represented at all - what
you're really capturing here is "when have the most active contributors to
each mailing list been the most active", which isn't a very good proxy at
all for "what is the list activity over time".

Cheers,