written delegations

Le Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 06:15:22PM -0800, Russ Allbery a écrit :
> Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> writes:
> > Le Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 10:45:40AM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli a écrit :
>
> >> I see much more gain in update the description of what does FTP masters
> >> do ( http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/FTPMaster ) than in renaming the
> >> team.
> >
> > Or better, having a written DPL delegation rather than an oral tradition…
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2008/04/msg00007.html

Sure, for the "who" there is already such a written trace. But I was actually
thinking about the "what". That would be in particular useful for newcommers,
and would prevent drifts. For instance, we just had a discussion on sections.
How can one guess that it is the FTP team – rather than for instance the
release team or the developers themselves – that is responsable for deciding
which package is in which section, if one came to Debian after the archive was
reorganised into pools? More painfully, we just had two GRs which originate in
a disagreement about what delegates are delegated to do. Definitely, written
delegations could be really useful to Debian to clarify prerogatives and
responsabilities, and avoid misunderstandings.

(added to http://wiki.debian.org/DiscussionsAfterLenny )

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy