Re: A Software Populist Who Doesn't Do Windows

Ean Schuessler <ean@brainfood.com> writes:

> I don't know how many of you caught sight of this article about Ubuntu
> in the New York Times, its an amusingly stilted read.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/11/business/11ubuntu.html

It's a dreadful article.  It's characteristic of the worst sort of
technological reporting by newspapers who don't understand the field.
It's full of cutesy attempts at a populist mystique, labored attempts to
create a sense of drama, weird misunderstandings of how operating systems
work, and all sorts of basic flaws in research about the relationships
between Linux, distributions, Debian, and Ubuntu.  I could barely stand to
read it and was ranting to friends a couple days ago about how horrible it
was when I first saw it.

I don't think anyone who actually knew something about the subject matter
could be happy with that article, regardless of what distribution they're
working on.  It's badly-written, badly-researched crap.