Re: Discussion: Possible GR: Enhance requirements for General Resolutions

Joerg Jaspert wrote:
Hi,

I have felt for some time that the low requirement for seconds on General
Resolutions is something that should be fixed. We are over 1000
Developers, if you can't find more than 5 people supporting your idea,
its most probably not worth it taking time of everyone.

this will mean that future GRs would need 30 other people to support
your idea. While that does seem a lot (6times more than now),
considering that a GR affects more than 1000 official Developers and
uncounted amounts of other people doing work for Debian, I think its not
too much. Especially as point b only requires 15 people, 3 times the
amount than now, in case there is a disagreement with the DPL, TC or
a Delegate.

I agree that actual quote is to low, but I don't think things will
change with an higher quote.

FYI in Switzerland:
for a "GR" resolution we need 100 000 subscribers, i.e. 2% of
potential voters (4.3% of actual voters), and it is more difficult
that seconding a Debian GR.

Anyway, since 2000 it was called more than 30 times [1] (and all
but twice the "GR" was rejected).
For this reason, I think an higher quote probably will not reduce the
number of GRs.

ciao
	cate

[1] not counting a lot more referendums and mandatory votes
(i.e. government driven amendment to constitution), and not counting
cantonal and local votes.