Re: Discussion: Possible GR: Enhance requirements for General Resolutions

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 12:54:41AM +0100, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> General Resolutions are an important framework within the Debian
> Project. Yet, in a project the size of Debian, the current requirements
> to initiate one are too small.
>
> Therefore the Debian project resolves that
>  a) The constitution gets changed to not require K developers to sponsor
>     a resolution, but floor(2Q). [see §4.2(1)]
>  b) Delaying a decision of a Delegate or the DPL [§4.2(2.2)],
>     as well as resolutions against a shortening of discussion/voting
>     period or to overwrite a TC decision [§4.2(2.3)] requires floor(Q)
>     developers to sponsor the resolution.
>  c) the definition of K gets erased from the constitution. [§4.2(7)]

Hi Joerg,

Thanks for bringing this up. I feel that 2Q is possibly too large
however. I'd suggest:

Therefore the Debian project resolves that:
  a) Section 4.2 of the Debian Constitution is amended, replacing all
  references to K with Q.
  b) 4.2.7 is reworded to state:
     Q is half of the square root of the number of current Developers.
	 Q need not be an integer and is not rounded.

Reasoning:
a) Q people should be enough to start a GR. The use of the "override a
   delegate's decision immediately" is something that should not be
   taken lightly. This should still require 2Q.
b) No more reference to K, tidy up. Keep the non-rounded float nature of
   Q.

Cheers,
Neil
--
i get an error... i forget what it is ... but definitely an error, well, maybe
a warning... or an informational message... but definitely an output