Re: Spamming the World through Open Debian Mailinglists (Re: lists.debian.org has received bounces from you)

Jeroen Massar <jeroen@unfix.org> writes:

> Cord Beermann wrote:
> > We are aware that Debian-Mailinglists aren't 100% spam-free, but
> > if you can't accept that, don't subscribe to our lists.
>
> The spam-check is not even needed if you would simply close it, as I
> wrote.

Incorrect. Spambots are quite capable of subscribing to a list in
order to spam it. So, making a list subscriber-only does *not* obviate
the need for spam filtering.

> =========> Most Debian lists are ****OPEN**** lists        <==========

This is a benefit not to be given up lightly. Those who want to close
a list to non-subscribers have to make the argument for that, and as I
point out above, “it prevents spam” is false and not a strong
argument.

--
 \         “The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is |
  `\       able to think things out for himself, without regard to the |