Re: Re: Voting on messages: a way to resolve the mailing list problems

Filipus Klutiero <chealer@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I see that http://www.grouplens.org has moved on and their research
> > (like http://www.grouplens.org/node/126 - "The recommendations that
> > are most accurate according to the standard metrics are sometimes not
> > the recommendations that are most useful to users") may be informative
> > for anyone who thinks that message-voting will surely work.
> >
> Unless you're suggesting a recommendation system, I don't see how this
> paper is relevant.

Various messages in this thread have suggested using the votes as the
basis of a recommendation system for messages or authors.  I think
such a system would also exhibit the "similarity hole" mentioned in
that paper.  To be specific: it will prioritise what the voting groups
already know, over what would be most useful to the project.

However, that's just one example of the studies and - particularly if
you've never tried GroupLens or a similar system - several of the
papers are worth reading, illustrating the limits of item voting
systems and the challenges to overcome.  I believe those limits and
challenges mean that wider moderation/facilitation would be more
rewarding for the same effort.

Hope that explains,
--
MJ Ray (slef)