Re: Re-thinking Debian membership

On Sat, Oct 25 2008, Andrei Popescu wrote:

> On Sat,25.Oct.08, 00:36:06, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
>
>> My point is that if your only activity in Debian is periodically
>> answering an automated email, I don't see the point of staying member of
>> the project.
>
> How about this: every Debian Member chooses his own method of stating "I
> am active in the Project". For a packager this could be an upload, for a
> translator it could be a new/updated translation (either by commit to a
> VCS or by sending it to some public mailing list),... whatever makes him
> so important for the Debian Project as to retain his membership.

        No. Activity must mean something concrete, Just sending email is
 not concrete evidence of actually doing something.  Since liw defined
 voting and package uploads as defining characteristics of a developer,
 I posit that those activities are the only things that make sense about
 maintaining an active status in the project.

        If you are not voting or uploading packages, everythign else you
 do can be done without a maintainers hat on, so you do not need to be
 a DD.

        manoj
--
"Mr. Spock succumbs to a powerful mating urge and nearly kills Captain
Kirk." TV Guide, describing the Star Trek episode _Amok_Time_