Re: Re-thinking Debian membership

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 11:44:03AM +0300, Lars Wirzenius wrote:

[snip]

> Proposal
> --------
>
> * People should be allowed to join Debian when there is reasonably
>   wide-spread consensus that they agree with the project's goals, are
>   committed to working on those goals, and are trustworthy. The best way
>   to determine this is to have some number of people endorse a candidate.
>   However, there should not be too much opposition to a candidate, either.
>
>   Concrete proposal: max(Q, 20) endorsements, two existing members
>   together can veto. The veto can be done anonymously via the Debian
>   Account Manager to avoid peer pressure to not veto. The DAM only
>   counts the endorsements and vetos, and does not make judgement calls.
>   All endorsements and vetos must happen within 30 days.
>
> * Membership in the project gives both voting and upload rights.
>
> * Membership ends 24 months after they're given, or after the latest
>   participation in a vote arranged by the project's Secretary. Members
>   may retire themselves earlier, of course.
>
> * Members may be expelled via the normal General Resolution process, with
>   a simple majority. Ftpmasters may temporarily limit upload rights in an
>   emergency.
>
> * Membership is controlled via GnuPG keyrings, primarily maintained by the
>   Debian Account Manager. The keyrings shall be maintained in a way that
>   allows any member to change them, and that is fully transparent to the
>   members in general, and that further makes it easy to undo mistakes.
>
> * Upload sponsorships and the limited upload rights via the Debian
>   Maintainer status are unaffected by this proposal.

I really like your proposal, it is simple and at the same time it is
able to solve lot of problems: NM, MIA, DAM SPOF...

There is still some minor changes I would like to see (for example I
really think that a new member should still agree with DMUP/SC/DFSG),
but I consider it a really good basis to start a productive discussion.