Re: Re-thinking Debian membership

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 04:18:04PM +0300, Kalle Kivimaa wrote:
> Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> writes:
> > If you're going to do this, there should also be another way than
> > "voting" for people to reset their timer. I wouldn't want to see people
> > having to propose a null vote because they didn't care for any official
> > votes during the last two years and now find themselves in danger of
> > being kicked out because they consider actually working on Debian to be
> > of more importance than voting.
>
> Sending a simple "abstain" to a DPL vote every other year would be
> more work than proposing a null GR vote?

Certainly not. However, it is also easier for people to say "hi bot, I'm
still active" than it is for them to remember whether or not they've
voted in the last two years when a new vote comes up.

As a Belgian citizen, with our laws on compulsory voting, I already have
a legal requirement to participate in one particular voting system.
Suffice to say that I'd rather die than see Debian implement something
similar.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22