Re: Re-thinking Debian membership

pe, 2008-10-24 kello 13:36 +0200, martin f krafft kirjoitti:
> also sprach Lars Wirzenius <liw@liw.fi> [2008.10.24.1044 +0200]:
> > * Membership is controlled via GnuPG keyrings, primarily maintained by the
> >   Debian Account Manager. The keyrings shall be maintained in a way that
> >   allows any member to change them, and that is fully transparent to the
> >   members in general, and that further makes it easy to undo mistakes.
>
> There is no way I will ever agree to something like this unless we
> get rid of all the inactive or careless members we already have.

I'm all for moving inactive people to retirement status. The fact that
we don't do that well is one of the things I believe my proposal will
mostly fix.

> Having hundreds of (potentially unsafe) keys with upload rights to
> our archive, which isn't actually needed in many many cases is one
> thing; allowing all these keys to approve or delete members is
> another.

Since any changes need to be easy to undo, and we need safeguards around
such decisions anyway, I don't see a problem. For example, there could
be a time-delay between adding a new member and the time when they can
actually log in. Ditto for removing a member.