Re: Developer Status

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 03:12:01PM -0200, Martín Ferrari wrote:
> Ideally, this would be defining two classes (yes, and then we can
> proceed to declare the war between classes, and take the winter
> palace, etc..) one that defines a full member, who can vote, be
> delegate, etc, and a contributor which cannot do that, but it's
> acknowledged anyways with an email address (I'd say a @debian.org
> address), an entry in LDAP, etc.

Sorry, but the devil is in the details. In this case is precisely in
the "etc." :-)

For example, do you think we should have a "member" which can vote but
can not upload? I think we should, and that's the main benefit of this
proposal. A benefit I think we should have as a project.

Let me play with ASCII art:

  Rights | Vote    Upload
  Role   |
  -------+-----------------
  OUT    |  0         0
  DD     |  X         X
  DM     |  0         X
  DC     |  X         0

DC is the Debian Contributor role we are missing.

Of course you can add rights (i.e., columns to the table), and hence
add an exponentially growing numbers of roles, the point is which of
these roles are the interesting one. IMO DC is one of them.

Cheers.

--
Stefano Zacchiroli -*- PhD in Computer Science \ PostDoc @ Univ. Paris 7
Dietro un grande uomo c'è sempre /oo\ All one has to do is hit the right