Re: NEW queue

On Thu, Oct 23 2008, Pierre Habouzit wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 02:09:23PM +0000, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>>         This is where you got this wrong. The responsibility is to serve
>>  the  project, and the foundations on which the project is built, to the
>>  best of our ability. Me undertaking to do more work (mostly thankless)
>>  is not to become the servant of people who opt to do less, but to
>>  ensure that the project benefits.
>
> I disagree. You imply that people outside of teams are doing nothing,
> and beside that it's quite interesting that you think so in itself, it's
> wrong. There are many people doing a lot for Debian, that have no access
> to the powers that the release team have, and we do have to make sure we
> don't impede those people's work.

        I did not say that, and your deducing that was my implication is
 jumping to unwarranted conclusions.

        So people are doing things for Debian that I am not. That does
 not give me the right to tell them what more they can do. And vice
 versa.

        While no one else has the right to tell me how I spend my time,
 or do my work, I do not have the right to tell them how not to do
 things.

        If I vett my plan of work with some people, that is not wrong.

        If I am talking to people about how to convert policy docs to
 docbook, and what works, and what does not, it is not wrong.

        When I write code for devotee, I make the design decisions. I
 would be silly not to seek and listen to feedback, but that does not
 mean I cede the coherent design decision making to the hordes.

        manoj
--
Reputation, adj.: What others are not thinking about you.