Re: Developer Status

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 12:18:01PM +0000, cobaco wrote:
> IIRC the last time this came up people could name 1 or 2 non-packagers who
> had ever bothered with NM
>
> -> while it is theoretically possible for non-packagers to go through NM,
> quite obviously it's currently not worth the pain in the opinion of the vast
> majority of non-packagers.

That's because NM is inherently broken, and we should not make people
being able to circumvent NM to the price of being lesser folks. Being a
DD is harder every day, whereas we should make it more accessible.

Creating casts is going to solve nothing. Except give titles to some
people who right now have none, whereas they should be DD.

Not that long ago (given how many current DD have passed through that
process), being a DD required a phone call with James Troup, and a
google search about the guy. I don't say it was ideal, probably not (And
I'm not thinking phone bills when I say that ;p), but nowadays, being a
DD is hard. Not _that_ hard technically, it's hard on the nerves of the
AM, the NM, it's slow as hell, it's horrid. And each time one speaks
about "fixing" it, it adds a new layer of questions, templates, silly
stuff.

The more steps you add, the sooner people will stop. IOW less and less
people will become full DDs, and instead of bringing new blood to the
project, you bring new blood to the "lesser" contributors and deplete
the core contributors (sorry to make such distinctions between full DDs,
lesser or core contributors, it's what people try to make it about, not
what I think of it). Instead, we should just have a world split in
three: Users, Contributors (User that reports bugs and does occasionnal
patches or similar stuff), Developers. Translators, people helping with
the website and so on, any people that does _regular_ help to the
project just deserves to be the latter. The fact that it requires NM for
all of them is pure nonsense.

As of the "sacred upload rights", FWIW, I think we shouldn't give DD
status to any people that is going to abuse his uploads rights when he
should not. It's 10x less likely that a translator will NMU a package
out from the blue, than a clueless DD will NMU a package and screws it
badly. I've never heard of the former[0], I've seen the latter a couple
of times.

  [0] Yes there are no pure translators atm in Debian, though there are
      quite a few DDs that work in l10n efforts, I've seen *none* of
      them do NMUs because they felt like it.

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit