Re: Developer Status

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 07:47:10AM +0000, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le jeudi 23 octobre 2008 à 08:59 +0200, Lucas Nussbaum a écrit :
> > > Debian Contributor
> > > ------------------
> > > Debian Maintainer
> > > -----------------
> > > Debian Member
> > > -------------
> > > Debian Developer
> > > ----------------
> >
> > I really liked the fact that it was possible to explain Debian's
> > different developers status in 30 seconds. Couldn't we find a way to
> > adapt the current architecture to fit in the additional statuses?
>
> This is the thing that makes me the most uneasy with the decision (apart
> from the way it was done). We need less complexity and bureaucracy, not
> more.

I'd put it even more bluntly. The current problem is that NM is too
slow, too sluggish, too boring. Being a DD requires a motivation that I
wouldn't even dare to ask from the best employees in my company, and god
knows I'm an elitist when it comes to code quality and technical
interest.

No, instead of attacking the big fat problem that being a DD is not a
single phone call with Elmo anymore, we tackle the issue by adding even
more sub-roles, so that people that get lost en route, have cookies
along the path.

“ - Come to the dark side
  - No
  - We have cookies !
  - \o/
”

If I recall right, Jörg was really against DM at the time. I thought it
was because of that, I see now that it's because the project wasn't his.
Debian has always had a flat hierarchy, with a few delegates for key
roles, infrastructure handling and stuff like that, where it's not
really practical to have every DD have the position (1000 DSA isn't
really a good thing, I speak from experience). So when the
*constitution* gives him the right to do what he just did (yeah, sadly
he can and we have to be 2:1 to overrule that yeah), it's completely
against the nature of Debian, and the spirit of the constitution.

I'm blatantly disappointed in both the form and the ground of this
edict.

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit