Re: DEP1: Non Maintainer Uploads (final call for review)

MJ Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop> writes:

> No, it hasn't.  It is used naturally for indeterminates.  Using it for
> singulars sounds stilted and contrived.  The developer is clearly not
> an indeterminate.

It's a single person with indeterminate gender, which is exactly the use
case for the epicene they.  I believe you're simply wrong here.  This
supposedly stilted and contrived construct routinely goes unremarked and
unnoticed by native English speakers who are not concentrating on applying
prescriptive grammar rules.

> This was covered in a thread around
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2005/01/msg00360.html

This thread seems to establish that you're in a small minority with this
opinion.