Re: DEP1: Non Maintainer Uploads (final call for review)

On 12/08/08 at 10:06 +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Le Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 07:28:53PM -0300, Lucas Nussbaum a écrit :
> >
> > After a long delay, here is a final call for reviews and comments for
> > DEP1.
>

> Hi Lucas,
>
> First of all, since we already dedicated a lot of time to find
> compromise on the text, let me make clear that I do not object to it,
> that I do not want to delay or block anything, and that you can ignore
> my comments if you want.
>
> After reading it again, have the two following comments:
>
>  - The whole section would start with a paragraph mentionning that a NMU
>    is the consequence of the failure of the maintainer(s). I find this
>    unfortunate, and my opintion is still that NMU should be for helping
>    maintainers or fixing urgent issues. If the maintainers are really in
>    situation of failure, then NMU is in my opinion not a viable
>    long-term solution and should be discouraged. Replacing "fails" by
>    "needs help" would enhance the text a lot. For instance, it fits much
>    better, the many "feel free to NMU" sentences we can read on the
>    vacation emails on debian-private.

OK, why not. Changed locally (it's not visible on people.d.o).

>  - Some teams maintain their packages in repositories that are writable
>    for all Debian developpers, and document relevant URIs in
>    debian/control. I can not speak for others, but when a NMU is done on
>    my packages, I welcome a commit or a patch to keep the repository
>    consistant with the Debian archive. Do you think that it would be
>    possible to add such a recommendation in the DEP ?

I am personally not against the idea of direct commits in case of NMUs.
However, I fear that adding something like that to this patch might be
controversial, so I would prefer not to do it for now, to reach a
consensus on this patch, and to commit it.

After that, we can have a discussion about:
- Should people be encouraged to commit the changes they make in an NMU
  to the package's Vcs?
- Should people be encouraged to commit any change (not necessarily
  resulting in an upload) to the package's Vcs?