Re: DEP licenses

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 01:51:33PM +0300, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> to, 2008-05-29 kello 12:46 +0200, Lucas Nussbaum kirjoitti:
> > If you could recommend a default license, that would make future work
> > (like a package containing all DEPs) easier...
>
> I'm not sure what would be the best practical license for DEPs, so I'm
> hesitant to recommend one at this point. Perhaps one of the Creative
> Commons ones? The current batch has some free ones, right?
>
> We might want to recommend something BSD-like so that parts of DEPs may
> easily be incorporated into other documents.

This talk of the licensing of DEPs is a bit of a confusion. Should
Debian look at addressing other contributions like bug reports wrt
license issues? Some governments make their work documents public
domain. Or even PD after some time frame. What other uses could DEPS be
used for? Could someone incorporate DEPs in a digital visual art project
and sell it to someone?  Could they be the basis for a patent? Would our
derivitives (knoppix) use them or perhaps start a DEP process of their
own? Should the DEP business process be restricted by us through a
patent? Just pondering all this...
-K
|_______  Unless I ask to be CCd, assume I am subscribed _______|