Re: DEP1: Clarifying policies and workflows for Non Maintainer Uploads (NMUs)

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 05:12:23PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:

> It depends on how important are the VCS and package histories for the
> maintainer and Debian. In order to acknowledge the NMU, it would be
> necessary to revert the current work, apply the NMU patch, merge the
> reverted work and resolve the conflicts. This is why the last time one
> of my package had a NMU, I just ignored it instead of acknowledging it
> (the upload I made would have closed the bug as well).

As Lars said, if the NMU fix is minimal then it should be trivial to
just apply it directly to the VCS version (apart from the changelog
there should be a reasonable chance of patch being able to cope by
itself).

It's also important to consider why the changes that are in the VCS have
not been uploaded to the archive - it may be that it's simply a case of
nobody having got round to it yet but it could also be due to there
being some issues which need to be resolved.