[sven@powerlinux.fr: Re: Update #1 [RFC: Introducing Debian Enhancement Proposals (DEPs)]]

Forwarding a mail from Sven Luther on the topic of how to get unique
numbers assigned. I've tried to keep thread references proper ...

----- Forwarded message from Sven Luther <sven@powerlinux.fr> -----

Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 09:41:01 +0100
To: Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org>
Cc: debian-project@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Update #1 [RFC: Introducing Debian Enhancement Proposals (DEPs)]
From: Sven Luther <sven@powerlinux.fr>

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 09:36:39AM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 09:18:47PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > >   (²) And this mail it's just there as a very unbureaucratic and light
> > >   mechanism for obtaining a DEP number.
> > Why can't we manage the DEP list just like the rest in a VCS ? A VCS
> > commit is atomic. :)
>
> To avoid religious was on which VCS to choose :-)
>
> > Posting a mail to get a number is not an adequate process IMO. Or are we
> > supposed to post a first draft without number and get the number
> > afterwards?
>
> Can you argue about why is it not?
>
> Considering mail times it is almost a mutual exclusion, and I'm pretty
> sure unlikely conflicts can be solved by private mails among the drivers
> (or by the admin of the dep project on alioth or whatever, it is not
> really a problem).
>
> Also, the point of deciding the number before starting to write the
> initial proposal is not that relevant as well: does it really matter
> whether you have a number in advance or not?

What about having a centralized email address where to send original
proposals, and which forward the proposal to the appropriate list, after
having incremented the proposal number ?

This is already what we do for bug reports, so it should not cause a
major problem to the DDs, no ?

<snip>

Sven Luther

----- End forwarded message -----