Re: linhdd concerns (was: Re: Updated Debian Maintainers Keyring)

On Sat, Nov 24, 2007 at 09:18:46PM -0600, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> So... Well, I do hope this public flaming regarding the fdisk messup
> is enough to fix the mistake (not minor by any means, but still a
> mistake) he did.

I think this misses the point.  Giving someone DM privileges is a
declaration that, even if they aren't yet skilled enough to have unfettered
access to upload any package in the archive, they are skilled enough to
maintain their own packages without further supervision.

Not knowing that you shouldn't put compiled binaries in an Architecture: all
package IMHO shows a pretty big gap in one's understanding of policy (this
is after all an RC bug).  But on top of this, taking the further step of
*suppressing* the lintian warning when the lintian warning was right is a
significant lapse in judgement that *hides bugs from view that would
otherwise be readily visible to the project*.  That sort of overconfidence
directly affects our ability as a project to easily audit the work that
maintainers are doing, be they DDs, DMs, or NMs, by subverting our automated
bug detection processes.

I am happy for Kartik's involvement in Debian, he's an active and valuable
contributor and I would like to see him continue on the path towards DDship.
But if we ignore clear evidence of an inconsistency between one's skills and
one's *self-assessment* of those skills, then I think we're optimizing for
the wrong outcome at our peril.