Re: Updated Debian Maintainers Keyring

On Sat, Nov 24, 2007 at 07:37:39PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Le Sat, Nov 24, 2007 at 10:50:37AM +0100, Josip Rodin a écrit :
> > When someone tells you "Debian policy sucks, my hack rules",
>
> It is exactly because neither in the bug report nor on this mailing list
> I have read the DM and his sponsor writing "Debian policy sucks, my hack
> rules" that I stand by what I wrote before.

If one doesn't appear to learn what an Architecture: field does, and
implements it incorrectly, that's a mistake. If one goes through the trouble
of learning what a lintian override is, and implements that correctly, for
the sole purpose of hiding an error provoked by a violation of Debian
policy, that's saying "Debian policy sucks" in a much more clear manner
than a simple statement to the same effect. YMMV.

> What is the point of writing to this list "I think that Mr Foo should not
> upload". Should these posts be encouraged? Do we want to read more of
> them? What is the line which will distinguish sound opinion from calomny?

I'd agree that -project is not really an appropriate venue because it's too
general, but this example wasn't one of those corner cases.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.