Re: Making Debian work: a question of trust indeed

On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 02:06:57PM +0100, Holger Levsen wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 November 2007 12:10, Martin Schulze wrote:
> > Then the outcome should be reported.  Not the beginning of a process.
>
> Sometimes it's very useful information too, to learn a process has been
> started. Or stalled. Or reached an important milestone. It's not always "the
> result in the end" that's interesting.

I could not agree more. Having this information is not only a
motivational issue, but it is also vital when you would like to gain
some insight in how things work. This will probably help new
volunteers in accumulating knowledge that will once enable them to
offer help to the team in question.

_I_ have moved to open source because I hate working with black boxes
with internals that I don't know. Having the source for the software I
work with available enables me to better understand what it does and
to make better use of it. I can find better workarounds for bugs (or
even _fix_ them *gasp*). This is really really really great.

Otoh, I hate every day that I am faced with so many black boxes formed
from humans in the Debian project. It would be great to gain some
insight into these boxes as well.

Greetings
Marc

Nordisch by Nature |  How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 3221 2323190