Re: Multi-winner elections, soc-ctte (Was: Re: soc-ctte discussion at DebConf7)

On Sat, Jun 30, 2007 at 10:00:47AM +0300, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 29, 2007 at 02:43:24PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >         It should be relatively straight forward for Devotee to find the
> >  winner, take the winner out of contention the next round, find the next
> >  winner (ignoring any pairwise contests dealing with any candidate no
> >  longer in the contest), and continue until the number of candidates
> >  desired has been reached.
> This is no doubt true.
> As I mentioned in another mail, this procedure does have the problem of not
> delivering proprtional results.
> A scenario.

A simpler scenario. A bunch of candidates divide themselves into
essentially two parties, people focussed on free software, and people
focussed on our users. As it turns out, one group has 60% support within
the project, the other group has 40% support within the project. There
are six candidates, and three places to fill. Votes go along the lines of:

	60% [ 1 ] A-1
	    [ 2 ] A-2
	    [ 3 ] A-3
            [ 4 ] B-1
            [ 5 ] B-2
            [ 6 ] B-3

	40% [ 4 ] A-1
	    [ 5 ] A-2
	    [ 6 ] A-3
            [ 1 ] B-1
            [ 2 ] B-2
            [ 3 ] B-3

Condorcet gives the winner as A-1. Excluding A-1 gives you a Condorcet winner
of A-2. Excluding A-1 and A-2 gives you a Condorcet winner of A-3.

A more desirable outcome, IMO, would have given B-1 a seat in the above
circumstances. Which is what proportionality is all about...

Whether A is "free software" and B is "our users" or vice-versa is left as
an exercise for the reader. ;) Other plausible scenarios might involve
soc-ctte candidates promoting "freedom of speech" versus "improving
signal:noise".

Cheers,
aj