Re: Deficiencies in Debian

> On Thu, 10 May 2007, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> In a workplace environment, this sort of thing is often addressed by
>> putting mentoring and staff development on the performance goals of
>> senior staff and freeing up time that they're supposed to dedicate to
>> training and documentation.  Debian doesn't have that luxury, and I
>> don't know what, if anything, we can effectively do at a project
>> organization level to accomplish a similar goal.

> What about doing something like that ?

> http://wiki.debian.org/Teams

> I've documented the Alioth team and I'll probably continue doing
> something similar for some other teams that I know quite well. This is
> very recent, I started it this week and I'd like to have some feedback
> on the structure of the template page (see
> http://wiki.debian.org/TeamTemplate). Are the important information
> missing? Are some information useless?

This looks good to me as a way to gather information.  We've done
exercises like this internally in my group at Stanford and they were
useful in helping people see what the different parts of the group do.  It
doesn't, in and of itself, help with mentoring and training, but it can
serve as a starting point for identifying places where it's needed and can
be a start on internal documentation for how tasks are performed.