so what can we do to voice our support? (Re: video codecs in HTML 5)

Hi,

added -project to to: as its more appropriate there :)

On Friday 23 March 2007 18:26, Steve Greenland wrote:
> That's all true, but if the standard requires (or recommends) MPEG4
> support, then that's what everyone will use, and we'll be screwed,
> again. If we (the Free Software community) can get Ogg-Theora listed as
> the base requirement (or recommendation), then we have a small chance of
> promoting a free codec for widespread use.

First of all, thanks to Maik for bringing this up here!

So despite the technical and philosophical details whether we should ignore
patents or whatnot, what can we do to voice our support for a standard with
mandates free codecs instead of propietary ones? (Which IMO is quite
obvious.)

So how can Debian make an official statement? Do we have to wait until the end
of the DPL elections? (April 8th)

Maik, whats the timeline in this discussion?

And hmm, unfortunatly WHATWG is not affiliated with W3C, which as a nice
patent policy... :-( But we can use this as another argument :) See
http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Patent-Policy-20040205/ - summary at
http://www.w3.org/2004/02/05-patentsummary.html

regards,
	Holger