Re: Using money to fund real Debian work

On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 09:41:28PM +0200, Denis Barbier wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 09, 2006 at 01:14:05PM -0400, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> [...]
> > Would I love to get paid to my work on Debian?  Sure, who wouldn't?
> > But, is it going to make me quit if someone else working on something
> > for Debian gets paid to do it?  Nope.  I would submit that people who
> > consider quitting or actually quit over something like that probably
> > have other issues to deal with.  For example, why join the Debian
> > project in the first place?
>
> In the introduction of our Constitution:
>   The Debian Project is an association of individuals who have made
>   common cause to create a free operating system[*].
> I first did not notice the footnote
>   [*] ... and find a job in the IT industry.
> My paid job is neither related to Debian nor to my activities within
> Debian, so I must admit that I have been a fool to give time to
> Debian without return, and I will now look for some medical help to
> diagnose and cure this distortion of reality perception.

My paid job also is not related to Debian.  At least I spent 90% or more
of my time in RHEL and only a very small fraction in Windows.  However,
this footnote you mention is just a figment of your imagination.  Now,
if someone can find a job getting paid to work on Debian, then great.  I
am certainly not going to be jealous of such a situation.  If someone
who has originally volunteered to work on Debian for free is approached
by someone wanting to pay them for some of their work, I will also not
be jealous.  Why is it that we cannot rejoice in other people's good
fortune?  Why cannot we rejoice in the idea that there are people out
there who care enough about free software (for whatever reason) that
they wish to finicially support its development?

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez