Re: on firmware and freedoom

Yavor Doganov wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 03:01:51 -0400, Branden Robinson wrote:
>
>> [...]  To do so would be to undermine our pledge to keep the Debian
>> system "100% Free", as our Social Contract puts it. [...]
>
> Thank you very much for the entire message, I hope that it will be
> influential to the outcome of this discussion/vote.
>
> I dream about the moment when all people will feel it that way, and
> about the time when the Debian Project will purge the "non-free"
> section (containing non-free software) and the "contrib" section
> (containing free software that is in chains), thus remaining 100%
> committed to the Free Software ideals.

I think "non-free" is a useful compromise -- albeit one which could
easily be satisfied on an outside server not sponsored by Debian.

"contrib" is an absolute necessity at the moment.  Technically, *everything*
in Debian is "contrib" because it depends on non-free software shipped with
your computer, such as the BIOS.  :-/  Furthermore, it acts as an awareness
area for "free software in chains", which may help the software
get "unchained".

--
Nathanael Nerode  <neroden@fastmail.fm>

Bush admitted to violating FISA and said he was proud of it.
So why isn't he in prison yet?...