Re: Proposal: The DFSG do not require source code for data, including firmware

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 01:28:35AM -0500, Peter Samuelson wrote:
> [Steve Langasek]
> > That's an interesting point.  Can you elaborate on how you see this
> > being a loophole, in a sense that having the firmware on a ROM
> > wouldn't also be?
> The day Debian begins to distribute ROM chips, or devices containing
> ROM chips, I will expect those chips to come with source code.  Until
> then, this is a red herring.

Note that while Peter is currently in the n-m queue (on hold pending
further response to T&S checks apparently), he's not yet a developer,
and his expectations shouldn't be inferred to be those of the developers
as a whole.

Working out whether those expectations match those of the developers as
a whole is what this GR -- and the discussion preceeding it -- is about.
I'd strongly discourage people who participate in the discussion (whether
you've run the n-m gauntlet or not) from dismissing developers' concerns
about this as a "red herring": if you're right, you shouldn't be afraid to
discuss the reasons why you're right in detail when asked.

Cheers,
aj