Re: "Debian Powered" Logo

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> > Mark Shuttleworth discussed this point with the DPL, and also with several
> > other DD and we explained that the "Open use logo" has been precisely
> > meant for this kind of use and that they can go ahead.
>
> What about creating a logo for a strategy similar to the Intel Inside
> campain? I imagine a simple circle of letters "Debian Powered" (in
> Debian-red) around the Swirl.

Yes, that would be interesting, I have already seen that kind of "buttons"
on web pages. But we don't have anything official for that use.

> I think we should promote our attendance in the development of forks a
> little bit more. Today I see a bad trend meeting fresh Ubuntu users and
> often hearing "Debian? Never heard about that, I use Ubuntu 6".

Indeed, that's why it's great that Ubuntu is ready to make it more
obvious that they are Debian based.

> IMO Tec. Committee would endorse the use of a such logo deciding whether
> the distro deviates too much from the official branch or not.

I find this overkill and the kind of administrative work that we shouldn't
have to do. The DFSG authorizes any derived work, there's no reason for us
to create a difference "good/bad derived work".

Anytime Debian is used, it's good for us, however different the product
may be.

If we really have a problem with a particular derivative, we have other
ways of reacting (GR, press release, negociation, etc.).

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog