Re: Minutes of an Ubuntu-Debian discussion that happened at Debconf

Replying to myself as the discussion summarized happened a month ago and
some things have changed already and I wanted to make it clear.

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> 1. Fix scott's patch repository: Ubuntu needs to keep a copy of the
> original Debian source package used to create their packages so that
> Ubuntu can always generate a useful patch without relying on
> snapshot.debian.net (which is unreliable and is not officially supported
> by the Debian project). Scott announced the "breakage" on debian-devel but
> it hasn't been fixed yet:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2006/02/msg00798.html

The repository has moved to http://patches.ubuntu.com and Matt Zimmerman
told me it should be fixed. Scott, can you officially confirm this? I
would suggest a follow-up to your initial mail on debian-devel...

> time. The simple thing to do is to send the diff of changes made within
> Ubuntu (for each upload of modified version of a package) to the Debian
> PTS via the new derivatives keyword (that people have to explicitly
> subscribe to) so that the Debian maintainer can be notified when something
> changes and keep an historical list of small patches instead of relying
> only on the big patch of scott's repository.

I implemented the PTS change for quite some time already and I will
announce it on d-d-a someday (when it's going to be really used): some
more info in the draft of the announce:
http://wiki.debian.org/qa.debian.org/Reports/Draft

> 9. It would be great if Ubuntu could advertise a bit more its Debian
> correlation by putting Debian logos in CD covers, background images,
> installer splashscreen, etc. Some kind of "Trademark policy" needs to be
> worked out with Ubuntu.

Mark Shuttleworth discussed this point with the DPL, and also with several
other DD and we explained that the "Open use logo" has been precisely
meant for this kind of use and that they can go ahead.

Regards,
--
Raphaël Hertzog