Re: Call for a new DPL mediation ... This will be the only thread i will reply to in the next time about this issue.

Benjamin Seidenberg wrote:
> AIUI (please, correct me if I am wrong) the D-I repository is hosted on
> svn.d.o, a machine belonging to the debian project. I don't see why the
> DPL would have authority over the mailing lists (hosted on a debian
> machine and maintained by the list admins) but not the svn repo (hosted
> on a debian machine, maintained by the svn admins (alioth team?) and
> access for that particular repo controlled by the project admins).

Maybe because the team is using the resource on their own and needs to
organise itself.  If some external third party (e.g. the DPL) screws
up and orders something, they are probably damaging the team.  As a
result this could end up in the team giving up or moving their work to
a resource they have full control over so that such an incident does
not happen again.  Both would not be the results you had intended, I
guess.

For the lists it's similar, except that the listmaster team maintains
the resource for the project.  However, if an external third party who
claims authority orders something which is implemented without the
acknowledge and not by the listmaster team, I could assume that they
give up as well, leaving the listmaster in shards.

If a team can't organise itself, something has to be really, really
wrong before external orders are warranted.  Please note that the team
uses to work in good will.  Only working on orders is a completely
different thing and having to do something because some external third
party orders it, is also a totally different issue.

Regards,

	Joey

--
This is GNU/Linux Country.  On a quiet night, you can hear Windows reboot.